Keeping your home looking good and functioning properly is a year-round job. Every season it’s important to complete essential checks around your home, to prevent damage and reduce the impact of changing weather conditions. For many homeowners, spring is a common time to get on with home improvements and checks but there are plenty of things you can do every season.
As the weather conditions change and our homes experience wear and tear, keeping all areas to a high standard means your home will have great curb appeal and minimise repair costs over the years. From your roof right down to your driveway, seasonal checks are key to maintaining a good home.
In this blog, we discuss some of the checks you can do a round the home such as proper maintenance of your roof.
Which areas should you check around the home?
Looking after your home isn’t hard if you get into a good maintenance routine. Every season, as it starts, it’s a good idea to spend a few days going over your property’s exterior to eliminate any problems that may have occurred since you last checked. For many, the reason why their maintenance and repair bills are so high is because they have been doing regular home checks and therefore problems progress a lot quicker.
Here are some of the top areas that you should take care of:
Guttering is designed to protect your home’s exterior walls from rain by channelling water from the roof to a drain in the ground via the gutters, which run horizontally, and down the pipes, which run vertically. However, it’s common for gutters to become clogged with debris, dirt and mud, especially after autumn and winter. If you can clear this out yourself then great, but hiring a professional is another option to consider. Removing this build-up will stop water from pooling and overspilling due to poor drainage.
If you want to keep the front of your home looking good, then ensuring that your driveway is tidy and stain-free will make a big difference. Rain can leave watermarks on your drive especially if you have paving and weeds can grow in between each paving stone. When the weather gets drier, use a scraping tool to remove the weeds and jet them out with a power washer. You can then seal your driveway with a coated finish that should keep it protecting from wear and tear and other elements.
How can you take care of your roof?
Your roof is another important area that needs tending to. Many people forget about this part of their property and while it usually requires little maintenance, this doesn’t mean it should be ignored. When your roof is in good condition it prevents other problems from occurring that can affect other areas of your home including its structural integrity.
Here are some of the best ways of looking after your roof:
By adding an extra barrier between your roof and the outdoor elements you are shielding this part of your home from damage. Looking after your roof should be a top priority, so by adding an extra layer of protection this will save you money on repairs and ensure your roof is durable all year round. This also means you have one less thing to worry about in terms of your roof as the coating does the hard work for you.
Since the roof is an area that you don’t have access to every day, it’s easy for damage to occur and for you not to notice. Unfortunately, when this happens problems can progress quickly and before you know it you might have a major repair project on your hands! Have a roofing expert look over your roof once or twice a year to ensure everything is as it should.
Why consider roof coating?
At Kingdom Coatings, in Scotland, we specialise in protective roof and external property coatings which offer reliable protection all year round. We’ve helped hundreds of homeowners save money on repairs with our high-performance coating. Improve your home today. Get in touch and find out more.
- Long-lasting protection – since the additional barrier prevents the sun and other weather conditions from damaging the roof, you can increase the lifespan. Your roof is one area that you don’t want to be worrying about, but with a roof coating, you’ll have peace of mind that your roof is less likely to suffer.
- Suitable for different types of roofs – one of the great things about roof coatings is that everyone can benefit from them. Whether your roof is made from metal, wood or composite, the coating will continue to look effectively.
- Energy-efficient – since the coating reflects heat away from your roof your home will stay naturally cool, especially in the summer. In the long run, this can mean lower energy bills due to air conditioning systems and more comfortable temperatures in heat trapped areas like loft conversions.
- Eco-friendly – many roof coatings are made with fewer chemicals making them more eco-friendly than previous products. Birds and other creatures that land on the roof are therefore safe and won’t be harmed by the coating.
- Aesthetic benefits – as well as protecting your roof from damage, roof coatings also improve the look of your roof. The original colour will stay looking newer for longer so your home continues to look well kept while your neighbours’ roof is slowly looking older.
- Saves money – we service our boiler every year to keep them in good condition, so why not invest in a long-term solution for your roof? Save those pennies by thinking about how your roof will change over time, the last thing you want is a huge repair bill from years of poor maintenance!
What kind of problems can occur in your roof?
Your roof can leak due to missing tiles, shingles, age, debris, poor guttering or excess moisture. When a leak goes unnoticed it can cause serious damage to your home and even structural problems that can make your property unsafe to be in. Leaks can occur over even just a short period but are more likely to happen after autumn and winter.
Missing and broken tiles can also lead to leaks, but when one tile becomes loose others usually follow which can result in injuries if they drop on someone below. The more tiles you lose the more vulnerable your roof becomes so always get this sorted as soon as possible.
Improper roof slope
You may have a sagging roof, or inadequate drainage system, resulting in accumulation of water. If the slope is not working for your home and goes untouched, the problem will only get worse over time. Have a professional take a look when you start to notice problems before it’s too late!
Kingdom Coatings: Scotland’s Roof Specialists
At Kingdom Coatings, we provide professional roof and wall coatings for ultimate protection. Without the right kind of maintenance and preventative techniques, you increase the chances of roof problems such as leaks, weather damage and more.
Our expert team is on hand to improve the quality of your home today, with affordable coatings that are a cheaper option than retiling your whole roof. Get on board with our effective waterproof coating in Scotland, and find out how it can make a difference to your home.
All of our installations are backed up by our extensive 10-year guarantee, so you’ll have peace of mind that your investment will last years to come. Get in touch today for more information.